If you haven't been, San Francisco is one of those cities that leaves you itching for more. More food, more music, more sightseeing. It's waterscapes, steep inclines (TERRIFYING btw), culture, and gorgeous architecture can leave you profoundly puzzled over why you didn't pack up your bags and move there years ago.
Music! For all those music lovers especially, there isn't an evening where the best dive-bars (or "hidden gems", as I like to call them) don't open their doors to musicians from all over the world. The top "dive" bars and musical venues to check out (in no specific order) are: Bottom of the Hill, Thee Parkside, The Chapel, The Regency Ballroom, The Fillmore, among many others. Check them out here: http://showbams.com/2013/07/30/best-live-music-venues-in-san-francisco-bay-area/.
Check out upcoming acts on this website: http://www.sfweekly.com/concerts/.
Sightseeing? Don't forget to check out and do the following things:
- Cross the Golden Gate Bridge
- Walk through China Town
- Take a ferry to Alcatraz
- Take a stroll down Fisherman's Wharf to Pier 39 and check out the sea lions! So cute.
- Visit the Haight Ashbury area and say hello to all the hippies… Peace and Love
- Climb Twin Peaks on a sunny, cloudless day… yes we got all the way up there and couldn't see a damn thing. Womp womp.
- Visit the Mission District and take silly tourist photos with all the murals… don't forget your Ray Bans and fedoras while you're down here! You'll want to blend in.
“San Francisco itself is art, above all literary art. Every block is a short story, every hill a novel. Every home a poem, every dweller within immortal. That is the whole truth.” ~William Saroyan